Are you ready to reimagine public school? The following resources will help you begin or dive deeper into a variety of topics focused on student-centered learning. By utilizing the technology and resources available, you can redesign “school” for your students.
- Aurora Institute – A leading advocate for transforming learning.
- Christensen Institute – Research to support student-centered designs.
- Education Reimagined – A growing community dedicated to transforming education in America.
- Getting Smart – Articles and podcasts highlighting education innovation.
- Shift Your Paradigm – Podcasts focused on learner-centered learning and learner-centered leadership.
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns, Clayton Christensen, Curtis W. Johnson, Michael B. Horn, 2008
- Delivering on the Promise: The Education Revolution, Richard A. DeLorenzo, Wendy J. Battino, Rick M. Schreiber, Barbara B. Gaddy Carrio, 2009
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action, Simon Sinek, 2009
- Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning, Charles Schwahn and Beatrice McGarvey, 2012
- Off the Clock: Moving Education From Time to Competency, Fred Bramante and Rose Colby, 2012
- Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools, Michael B. Horn and Heather Staker, 2015
- Learn Like a Pirate: Empower Your Students to Collaborate, Lead, and Succeed, Paul Solarz, 2015
- The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World That Values Sameness, Todd Rose, 2015
- Beyond Reform: Systemic Shifts Toward Personalized Learning -Shift from a Traditional Time-Based Education System to a Learner-Centered Performance-Based System, Lindsay Unified School District, 2017
- Competency-Based Education: A New Architecture for K-12 Schooling, Rose L. Colby, 2017
- Better Together: How to Leverage School Networks For Smarter Personalized and Project Based Learning, Tom Vander Ark, Lydia Dobyns, 2018
- The NEW School Rules: 6 Vital Practices for Thriving and Responsive Schools, Anthony Kim, 2018
- Deeper Competency-Based Learning: Making Equitable, Student-Centered, Sustainable Shifts, Karin J. Hess, Rose L. Colby, Daniel A. Joseph, 2020
The following companies offer resources, tools, and information that support student-centered learning. Companies may offer a variety of products and services in addition to the category listed. Some have free resources, some are fee-based, and some offer both. This is not an exhaustive list, but companies we have connected with or who have been recommended to us.
|Transforming Education Systems||Professional/Adult Learning||Social and Emotional Learning|
Great Schools Partnership
|Empatico – Free
Flippen Group – Capturing Kids’ Hearts
|LMS, Online Curriculum, and Support||Project-Based Learning||Connecting Learners to Industry|
Cisco Networking Academy
EVERFI – Free
Lincoln Learning Solutions
PBLWorks (Buck Institute for Educati0n)
Project Lead The Way
|Standards Based/Competency-Based Gradebooks||Online School Partnerships||Home & School Partnership Resources|
myLC Learning Collaborative Solution (Epiphany Learning)
|My Virtual Academy
|The Animation Course
|Compliance Tools||Assessment Tools||Student Information Systems|
Mastery Manager (Goldstar Learning)
|Competency-Based Education Support||Physical Learning Environments||Wireless Connectivity|
|CBE Solutions||MeTEOR Education||Kajeet|
Disclosure: Linked companies advertise on this site.
The districts in the Michigan CoOp are early adopters of student-centered learning. Read about their districts in these District Highlights.
Feel free to contact the following districts to discuss their journey to student-centered learning.
|District||Contact Person||Contact Information|
|Berrien Springs Public Schools||David Eichberg, Superintendent
Angie Cramer, Curriculum Director
If you’d like additional resources and create connections with other like-minded educators from around the country, consider becoming a member of the Michigan CoOp. Contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.